In 2019, the Girard Free Library will celebrate its 100-year anniversary.
The Girard Free Library in 1920
October 15, 1919: Girard citizens gather at the town hall to discuss opening a library, and the Girard Library Association is formed.
May 12, 1920: The library officially opens on the second floor of the town hall, with books and magazines collected by the Campfire Girls. There is a $1 membership fee.
1923: The library's collection surpasses eight thousand items and library membership four thousand people.
1937: The Campfire Girls provide library service to shut-ins; the library moves into a wing of the new city hall.
Checking out a book in 1938 was serious business.
July 19, 1973: The library moves to its present, much more spacious location on Prospect Street; new display cases, a conference table, a brightly decorated children's section, study carrels, a larger work room, and a custodian's office are added. It is formally dedicated on Sunday, September 30.
The library under construction
1980: The library adds 3300 square feet for more study carrels and shelving for books, magazines, and audiovisuals.
April 1983: Computer literacy classes begin after the library receives a federal grant to purchase an Apple IIe.
January 1984: The library adds word processing classes.
January 11, 1989: The Friends of the Library hold their first meeting.
1993: The library adds 2500 square feet.
2001: Our collection reaches 78,000.
2010: Girard residents approve a 1.5 mill continuing levy for the library.
2011: Girard joins the Clevnet library consortium.
The library today